The museum is closed because of the flood damages.
Echternach Abbey was founded by Saint Willibrord in 698. It was dissolved in 1797. The preserved buildings of the former abbey, nowadays the Lycée classique Echternach, date back to 1727. Part of the vaulted basement has housed the Abbey Museum since 1987.
The Abbey Museum offers an interesting, brief survey of the history of Echternach: the Roman Villa, facsimiles of the most famous manuscripts created in the local scriptorium, the life and cult of Saint Willibrord, archaeological remains.
Soon after the foundation of the monastery, a scriptorium was established in Echternach. There, books were written and illuminated to be used in religious services and in the monastic school. The most beautiful of these manuscripts were created in the 8th and 11th centuries.
Codex Aureus Epternacensis
The Codex Aureus Epternacensis was created in the Echternach Scriptorium around 1040 and was meant for domestic use. The cover was donated to the monastery by Empress Theophanu and her son Otto towards the end of the 10th century. Since 1955, the book has been in the possession of the “Germanisches Nationalmuseum” in Nuremberg. Texts pages of the Gospels, all written in gold ink, and numerous illuminations are shown as facsimiles in the Abbey Museum.
- From Palm Sunday to All Saints‘ Day: 10:00 to 12:00 and 14:00 to 17:00
- July and August from 10:00 to 17:00.
We are pleased to welcome you to our museum. Access through the courtyard of the former abbey next to the Basilica of St-Willibrordus.
Seniors (60+) : €1.50
Children and young people (< 21 years): free admission
Groups (min 10 persons): € 1.50 per person
Guided tours on request : guidedtours mullerthal.lu
Musée de l’Abbaye
11, Parvis de la Basilique
Tel.: (+352) 72 74 72
With the financial support by the Ministry of Culture of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg